In addition to everything I'm currently doing, I started a new side job that involves a lot of standing and lifting. The resulting effect is me coming home at the end of every long day...lately..with sore and tired feet.
Here is my end of day routine
1. Soak my feet in a bucket of warm water and salts for about 20 -30mins.
2. Make sure I have everything within reach from food, tv remote control , cellphone, computer and etc...you get the point...then elevate my feet above heart level for the rest of the night. I make a conscious effort not to be in a standing position till the next day.
3. Morning Yoga and other stretching exercises before work helps me stretch up tight muscles including those of the leg and feet
- Having regular foot massages at the spa. (I've only been to the foot spa once in my life)
- Having a Ice and Hot foot bath. Alternating between hot and cold for about 2 - 3 minute
- Purchasing cushioning insoles/inserts for your shoes. Also the ideal time to buy work shoes is at the end of your work day when your feet are at their largest* size
- Take more than one pair of shoes to work and rotate them every 3 hours or so
- Weight management. For some, feet pain is associated not just with long hours standing but their body weight.
I recommend making an effort to stay away from pain killers/pills because they are temporary solutions to the problem and do not address the issue, which is a change in habit, gears (shoes) and routine.
Hopefully over time my feet with get adjusted to my new schedule.